Introducing Faktory Pro
I believe background jobs are the best architectural pattern for scaling typical business apps to many machines. Sidekiq has been enormously successful because it implements that pattern and adds opinionated conventions which make the average developer’s life much easier:
- A standard mechanism for implementing and creating a unit of work
- A standard process for error handling with automatic retries and backoff
- “All-in-one” packaging so the base package includes everything necessary: client API, worker process, management APIs, and a beautiful Web UI translated to 25 languages
If you want to build and maintain your own low-level infrastructure, Faktory is not for you. If you want to build and scale a traditional business app as quickly and painlessly as possible, Faktory is designed for you.
This initial launch includes these features but the Pro feature list here will grow over time. Notably I will implement as many of the commercial Sidekiq features as possible.
- Cron jobs - kick off jobs on a regular schedule.
- Redis Gateway - expose Redis to the network so you can take backups, set up a replica, etc.
- Expiring jobs - configure jobs to expire if they have not successfully processed within some time interval
Future features might include metrics, batches, unique jobs, encryption, Web UI search, etc. Faktory’s different architecture means some features aren’t possible but enables others that Sidekiq couldn’t do well, like queue throttling. I’m excited to see what new things are possible!
How to Try It
There is a macOS binary of Faktory Pro available for free trial on your local laptop on the Faktory releases page. Additionally each sale comes with a 14 day trial period – you won’t be charged for two weeks.
Faktory Pro is a server you run and is priced per production instance at $149/mo for the first server and $49/mo for each additional server. Each Faktory Pro server can handle thousands of jobs per second under normal conditions. Testing, staging and development instances are unlimited and free. For the price of one consultant-hour per month, you get a well-maintained and well-supported feature-rich job system.